With a full manuscript critique, you’ll receive broad-strokes insight on your manuscript with guidance on how to move forward with your revisions.
- A read-through of the entire manuscript, with specific attention to big-picture, structural and developmental components such as plot, character development, voice, etc.
- A detailed, double-spaced editorial summary, which will detail big-picture recommendations for revision.
- An optional 30-minute Skype or phone call to discuss the edit letter and address any questions you may have after reading it.
Turnaround time is typically 3-4 weeks.
Your first draft is complete. Now comes the fine tuning. A developmental edit will provide you with the focused attention your manuscript needs to help your revision process off on the right foot.
- A close read of the entire manuscript, focusing on developmental elements (character and plot development, pacing, voice, setting, dialogue, and other elements of craft and story).
- In-line notes/questions/comments on the manuscript itself, (typically dealing with consistency, real-time reactions to the prose, and smaller-scale questions and suggestions that come to mind as during reading.
- A thorough editorial letter, which will detail editorial findings and recommendations, supplemental reading recommendations, and any questions that came up during editing. This will also include a list of conventional grammatical errors to watch out for in the letter—i.e., perpetual semi-colon misuse, a word or phrase used repetitively, etc., as well as a list of particularly outstanding moments in the manuscript.
- An optional hour-long Skype or phone call to discuss the edit letter and address any questions you may have after reading it, as well as to talk about a revision game plan and next steps
Turnaround time for edit letter delivery is typically 4-6 weeks, depending upon manuscript length.
- Co-development and composition of the query letter.
- A review and critique of up to ten drafts of the letter, typically in the form of track changes and email correspondence.
- Suggestions for comps and supplemental reading.
Turnaround time is 1 week per letter draft.